Measuring for suspenders is trickier than one would think. There are many variables to consider, such as the person’s height, girth, body shape, the elasticity of the suspenders and whether or not they can be adjusted. Elastic suspenders allow for more wiggle room, but even leather suspenders will stretch slightly over time as they are worn.
Suspender sizes are frequently given in inches, and are measured when they are fully stretched out. Rather than trying to guess the correct size, it’s recommended that you take an actual measurement for the best fit. For Y-back suspenders, take the measurement from the belt’s front loop, diagonally over the shoulder to the rear belt loop in the center. For suspenders with an X-back design, you should measure from the front belt loop over the shoulder to the side of the back waistline. Choose the suspender size that’s closest to your measurement. For more adjustment room, select the next larger size.
If you’re buying suspenders as a gift and you can’t get an actual measurement, consider these height guidelines:
- For adults between 6-foot-1 and 6-foot-5, select 54-inch suspenders.
- For those who are 5-foot-9 to 6-foot-2, choose a 48-inch size.
- For people between 5-foot and 5-foot-9, 42-inch suspenders are the best choice. These are also best for children over 5 feet.
- The 36-inch suspenders will fit 5-year-olds up to 5-foot-tall children.
- The 30-inch size suspenders are recommended for children between 2 and 5 years old.
- For babies and infants between 9 months and 24 months, choose the 25-inch size.
No matter what the age, everyone enjoys and looks great in suspenders.